If you have been following this blog, you know that I dealt with the issue of extortion rather often;
I recently came across the story of a journalist who was allegedly extorted while on a business trip (here the entire story) in Kenya. Hopefully the competent Authorities will deeply investigate the matter soon.
Unfortunately it is not always possible, by means of appropriate due diligence, avoiding such problems, nonetheless, as an experienced traveller, I would like to share some tips with you:
- Avoid traveling with jewelry, expensive cameras and a lot of cash,
- If you are working on your laptop, always use a trustworthy cloud service or an external storage device as a backup (the same for tablets and mobile phones),
- Use apps such as “112 where are u”, available on Android and iOS to get in touch with local law enforcement Authorities (please, check if such apps works in the target country before traveling there)
- Look at your Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for additional information and alerts.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)